Monday, July 23, 2007

And the madness begins...

It took me almost 31 years but I'm finally engaged to be married to the man of my dreams. There were many times I thought I'd never find him but now that Mark is in my life, I know without a doubt he was fully worth the wait.

Some people enter this phase of their life nervous about what marriage will bring or how it will change their lives. I'm not one bit worried about that part. What I am nervous about, however, is planning the actual wedding.

Growing up, I was a tomboy, a late-bloomer. I never had those floaty white daydreams of what my wedding would entail. I never pinned my favorite blanket to my head in a mock veil and strutted around my bedroom humming the wedding march song. Never did I think this fact was a problem until that sparkly ring was on my finger and I was forced to think about planning an "affair to remember."

The first thing I did was run out and buy a Modern Bride magazine. I used leftover "Yes!" and "Maybe!" stickers from my old Lucky Magazines (those things are so cool) and went about chronicling my favorite things between the pages. I saw one dress I liked. ONE. I wrinkled my nose at about a hundred more.

Don't even get me started on the bridesmaid's dresses.

I've now - one month into my engagement - purchased a total of four bridal-related magazines and I'm nowhere closer to knowing what I want the theme to be, or if I even want this to be a big affair at all. Mark hasn't helped much either, because he just wants to "enjoy the engagement" for the time being. While that's a noble thought, it's been sort of hard to do with all the "When is the date? and "Where's the wedding going to be held?" questions. (Grrr...)

I keep hoping a Fairy Wedding Mother will just pop into play and tell me what to do, or wave her magic wand and make it all happen for me. But she's late. And my glass slippers are stuffed somewhere underneath my 50 pairs of way-more-comfortable flip flops. What to do, I ask? WHAT TO DO????

I'm not quite to "panic mode" yet, but I'm not really having much fun with this crap yet, either.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Try to relax and enjoy it, whatever "it" will be.

I had planned (hoped) to elope when I got married. However, when I got engaged, everyone had different plans in that everyone wanted a wedding, and I still wanted to elope.

I had been quite adamant, but how could I deprive my family -- and Jeremy's family -- of the wedding that they wanted? I couldn't.

I asked that it be small. Small, I could deal with. I guess. But my heart was really set on eloping.

Anyway.

I got a Vera Wang dress -- in ivory -- that wasn't very wedding gown-ish.

I didn't want to wear a veil. Not only did I get a veil, I wore it the whole night AND on the plane back from Florida to CT two days later!!!

Honestly, even though I had my heart set on eloping, I loved, Loved, LOVED the wedding. I didn't want it to end.

My point is: No matter what you do, no matter what the theme, the date, the flowers, the food, the everything... you're going to LOVE it and enjoy every single second of it.

xo