Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Drumroll, please...

I think we have a wedding date. We finally found out Mark's brother will be able to come home for a visit [from fighting that shit-ass war] the first two weeks of May. Since we had already decided we want to get married on a Friday, May 9th, 2008 is going to be the day.

That means we don't have a lot of time.

That also means I'm sorta freaking out, people.

I don't know a whole lot about what we are going to do. Things I do know (for today, anyway):

Our color theme: Buttercup Yellow and Grass Green

Our attendants: my 2 sisters & 2 best friends and Mark's 2 brothers & 2 of his best friends

Favors: Possibly a candy table, as well as personalized CD's with our favorite love songs on them

I know where we want to have the wedding and reception, but I don't know yet if we can afford it or if it will be too cold that time of year in the good ole' Midwest to reasonably consider it. Michigan State University is known for their horticulture gardens and you can rent them - along with a glass greenhouse - by the hour for the wedding ceremony and reception. I figure if it rains or is too cold, we can just have the ceremony inside the reception-ready greenhouse.

I see lots of white Christmas lights and some simple white rice paper lanterns hanging from the ceiling. I see twinkling lights and love and happiness.

I also see $dollar signs$ and only 7+ months to plan a wedding. I hear my best friend - who herself got married almost 4 years ago and had 18 months to plan WITH a wedding planner - laughing and telling me I'm crazy for trying to plan in such little time. I feel my heart pounding fast when I allow myself to really think about it all.

But mostly I feel so absolutely excited to know that no matter what, the making-the-marriage-work part is something that will come naturally. I feel so lucky knowing that no matter how tough the planning of the wedding is, the reason behind the wedding is a pure one; a gift from God. I feel confident that I'm marrying the most perfect-for-me man in the Universe.

So I'll be fine.

A paper bag to breathe into wouldn't hurt a girl, though.

17 comments:

shayze said...

YAY!!!!! Congratulations on figuring out the date!! I'm sure you will get everything figured out in time and have a beautiful wedding!

Anonymous said...

May 9 -- it sounds like a beautiful date, and it will be.

Anonymous said...

7 months will be plenty of time! I had a year, and I wish I had less time to plan. If you stay super organized and on top of things it won't be a problem. I am sitting at the.....I have 4 months left before my wedding day point, and I would be ready to get married this weekend if I could. If you're anything like me (a bit tom boyish, and not all that into wedding gargle) you'll wish it was over before it began. One bit of advice I can give you to save yourself some $$$$$ EBAY, EBAY, EBAY. I bought all my favors on ebay (200 of them, as we are having 200 guests) for around $0.40/favor. I also suggest buying your veil on ebay if you're planning on wearing one. I have the most plain veil, and it was $200 at a bridal shop. I regret not checking there first. I am also having paper lanterns, and they are really cheap on ebay. Anyway, good luck with your planning......it's lots of fun!

AmyD said...

Shayze: Thank you! I hope you're right... Either way, I'm really excited and feeling much better now that we actually have a DATE!

Dawn: At this point, ANY date sounds beatiful to me! Ha!

Ashley: CONGRATS on your upcoming wedding and thanks for stopping by to leave great advice. Keep it coming, lady...I need all the help I can get. ;o)

Anonymous said...

Yay for a date!!!
You have plenty of time and I'm sure you'll do a stellar job. How excited am I for the photos already :)

Anonymous said...

If you would like.....send me your email address must_be_ashley@hotmail.com and I can send you some timeline templates I setup as well as a month before calendar of to-dos I should be doing before the wedding. It is a good guidline to put on your fridge and cross things out as you go.

AmyD said...

Meeks: Well then, I will try to give you as many photos as possible until the wedding, and for SURE after! :o)

Ashley: Um, are you my guardian angel or something??? THANK YOU!! I'll email you in a bit!

Anonymous said...

Okay! Sent you the documents! Check your junk mail.

Anonymous said...

girllll...why o why am I reading this HERE??!!!!! OMG!!!!! SUCH BIG...NO NO...HUGE news!!!!!

Mitch said...

Hey Amyd!

Fantastic news on the date of the wedding! That's great! And before I forget, Happy Friday to you!

Now, you're probably already at home relaxing, but just a thought to keep in mind when you get to your wedding... and something I learned from working at a wedding restaurant for a year.

Keep.
It.
Simple.

Salad, Dinner, Wedding Cake... nothing else. Speeches during dinner. Get to the dancing ASAP. lol - like that needs to be said ;)

Oh, and for photos - FORGET the disposables at the tables. Everyone has digital these days anyhow; instead, bring a laptop computer with a memory card reader and before people leave, have them copy their photos to the laptop then and there. It'll save you trying to track down all of the photos taken at your wedding after the fact.

lol, it was an interesting summer as you can imagine!

YAY!

The Unprocessed Project said...

I got engaged Sept. 23rd and got married the next May. It was PLEANTY of time to plan!! Actually, it was just perfect because right when I got tired of planning, it was time to get married! People are crazy that need years to plan a wedding.

I don't know how I first found your site, but I am a long time reader, first time poster.

Good luck!!

Me said...

Dates are good! YAY! 7 months is plenty of time. Focus on what's most important, that's you two.
Focus on what you know you can't live without...like awesome wedding photographer as opposed to a $5 million cake..you get the idea....I would book those things first, the ones that truly matter and then you can budget around the rest.

Me said...

Oh and shoes.

I got my wedding shoes at JCPenny...you know, those shoes you can buy during prom season that they will color in whatever color you want? Right. 40 bucks tops...my wedding shop wanted to sell me a pair afor 150... :) They weren't an exact match with my dress, they were a tad whiter, but I figured if anyone spends that much time checking otu my shoes under my long wedding gown, they shouldn't be at my wedding in the first place.

Diane Mandy said...

WOW! May!!! It should be a beauiful month for a wedding. And I LOVE your color choices. Just don't panic about the time. It will all end up getting done!

Anonymous said...

Well Congratulations on setting a date! From what I've read about you, you are a consummate planner and therefore 7 months will be plenty! Not to worry! Always remember the KISS principle...keep it simple silly, or get a kiss every time you feel stressed! I like the second option..your choice! Remember always that this is about you and Mark!
9 years ago I planned mine on a shoestring budget in less than a year and it was the most magnificent day ever...I married my best friend! The actual day had it's problems, but who cares at that late time, nothing you can do to change it but KISS!

Ms. M said...

I'm late! I'm late!

This all sounds lovely!
7 months should be FINE! YOu may not get your 1st choice of vendors, but there will be vendors and having more time for some people means more time to stress over the small details and OVER plan!

7 months means every month you will have to get something (s) wedding-related done, and the last few months are a flurry of activity for any bride/couple, but you CAN do it all... just keep breathing and make lists and phone calls!

This is an exciting time!!! Congrats!

Anonymous said...

This is exactly why I'm eloping!

:oP~~~~